Background

Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh How the Years Go By!

One of my biggest memories of spending summer vacations at my grandparents was strawberry season. She lived in Muskegon County and a farm really close to her was Veenstra's (and I believe they are still there!). I remember very warm days being out there for what seemed like HOURS filling those boxes and I just never could fill them like my grandma could. In hindsight, I understand that the "one in the mouth, one in the box" really doesn't get you very far, but oh...what wonderful memories those days were..and oh, how I miss them!

In Michigan, the season lasts maybe 2-3 weeks. No, it isn't long-lived at all so when it starts, I try and make the most of it. We live in a large city and so in summers past, I just purchased Michigan strawberries pre-picked at a farm market (Horrock's), but last summer (after the season was over), I discovered a farm maybe 15 minutes from us (on a dirt road in the in the middle of nowhere:) ). This year, I was bound/determined to get out there.

Obviously I have two kiddos ages 6 and 4 whose attention span is next to NOTHING so I had already made up my mind that there was no way I would take them both to pick. Today was an AMAZINGLY sunny day....mid 70s, not humid....and strawberries sounded SOOOO yummy. I decided maybe the kids and I would run out and just buy a couple of quarts pre-picked at the farm...but once we got out there, I just decided to "GO FOR IT" and pick a couple of quarts.

A couple of quarts turned into nearly 8lbs...hahaha....and the kids did well, though, they really had no interest in doing the work after maybe 5 minutes (BIG SURPRISE!). They spent time running around the sidelines/grassy areas of the field while my old bones bent over and picked.

I am sure tomorrow, I will pay for the bending (OUCH!), but oh...SO worth it. These suckers are amazing and each kid had a small bowl when we came home :) LOVE this time of year. LOVE IT!


Greenies compliment of my kiddos :)