Background

Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"New" Treasures.....

When I was a single chick (and yes, even minus the husband), I was able to have/DO so many more things in the house. When the kids were born and started toddling, my decor took a big revamp. It was hard enough to keep a picture frame on a table at that point so I put many things that were breakable and choke-able away. In other words: if it couldn't be up on the wall, it wasn't in sight.

My kids are now almost 7 and 4.5 and I've been slowly trying to re-incorporate my love of primitive things, antiques, etc.

One of the first things to re-enter the scene: my old planters (Shawnee, McCoy).


Now, keep in mind that I live on the north side of a capitol city...on a double/corner lot. Great lot...small house....less than desirable city...so please ignore my neighbor's gawdy lattice out my window!! hahaa



I read somewhere not too long ago about "clumping"/grouping like/similar items together and the pictures I saw that went along with that idea were AWESOME. I decided to put some of the planters/vases in the kitchen window (above the sink). Hey, at least even the kiddos at this age can't get to those, right? Then I took some dried lavender (Oh, lavender ROCKS my world!) and stuck the bunch in one of the vases. Yea, ok..it's not as "extravagant" as many of you guys can do, but being a poor ghetto rat in the north side 'hood....I have to work with what I've got :)


A few years ago, my grandmother had given my mother some things...I have no idea why since she was always fiercely protective of her things....especially if anything belonged to her parents, aunts, etc. One of things she gave my mother was her aunt's (my great-great aunt) silverware.

It is marked Community and I was able to find the pattern online. Apparently is known as "Coronation"/"Hampton Court".

It's pretty immaculate and obviously in its original case. I just have to figure out what I am going to do with it.