Background

Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone....

In my mid 20s, I decided to go back to school for law-enforcement. Radio wasn't the most stable industry to be in at the time and I had taken an interest in criminal justice. While in school for it, I took a paid "internship" a local department and that experience was completely priceless. I ended up transferring somewhere in a different city after about a year and had to leave that department.

I moved back to the area a few years later and reconnected with one officer I worked with. She was a great mentor and a very caring friend and our kids played together. Life was good. Being a police officer, my friend was a strong person and didn't hesitate to say what was on her mind. That was a factor in distancing myself around 2013. It is no secret I tend to cut people out of my life for something as stupid as spilled milk and that is what I did here. My husband had left his Facebook page open and I saw where she had sent him a message about my "parenting" skills. It's not exactly spilled milk, but I didn't even take the time to question it. I was done.

I am now 47 years old, still married, and my kids are in middle and high school. I have also been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis so when I am not hauling my kids around from place to place, I am home. One of the things I have started to keep on is the obituaries. Pretty depressing, isn't it? The older I get, the more death I see. This last week, I missed a few days of obituaries because of some schedules being off, but one day, I sat down to catch up (damn, morbid am I?). I scrolled through and suddenly, I felt a knife go through my heart. I stopped breathing. I had to re-read it again and again. My friend. My friend that was a mentor in law-enforcement. My friend whose kids played with mine. My friend I cut out of my life.

I sent it to my husband who was also in disbelief. Then, he sent me a screenshot of a message she sent him 2 years ago. She asked about me. She specifically asked about me. Me...the person who cut her out 4 years prior.

I bawled. I bawled and bawled. It was at that moment I realized I didn't hate her at all. I LOVE HER and I MISSED HER. I bawled some more.

A short time before I cut her, I cut another friend for doing, pretty much, the same thing that friend 1 did. The thought of friend 2 dying was just wayyyy too much for me. That night, I sent a private message on FB to her. She was so receptive to someone who didn't deserve a chance: me. We are friends again.

Yesterday was friend 1's funeral. I thought I had the crying done until I walked into this school where the funeral was. There was a couple of people at the entry door and one was holding a box of Kleenex. I assumed she was there to help others get seated, etc and the Kleenex was for anyone who needs them so I didn't hesitate to take 3-4 of them as I started bawling again. In hindsight, she could've just been a person there for the funeral and the box was hers....and I just helped myself. Oh well. If it was a personal box, I hope she understands.

As I walked to the back seating (it was a full house) slobbering away, I saw a police officer in uniform sitting alone. Then I saw his patch (department) and realized who it was. It was another PO that used to be at the dept I was a cadet at. This PO was probably one of the best PO's I have ever had the privilege of working with. I hadn't seen him in 20 years and seeing him brought a sense of "relief", so to speak. Comfort in numbers? He didn't recognize me, but I told him who I was, he got right up and hugged me. I cannot even BEGIN to tell you what that meant to me. I am a cold-hearted bitch on the outside, but inside, I love..and I love with all my being. This man was of a a "group" of POs that kind of hung together. I had been on many outings with the group...barhopping, etc. They were tight, amazing people, and a group I truly admired from a professional standpoint and a personal standpoint. That PO I saw sitting at the funeral said, "I saw you walking in and I thought, "I hope she doesn't sit next to me because she is already crying!"" I laughed and took a seat with the friend I went with and my daughter behind him. Then I saw 2 more people walk in and headed towards the back where we were. It was another PO I worked with and his wife (whom I was also friends with back in the day). I hadn't seen them for like 17 years. They, as well, didn't recognize me but the PO didn't hesitate to hug me when he saw me. During the funeral, I heard him crying. I couldn't stop crying. Even my daughter, who was only like 7 when she saw the deceased last, was bawling. It was such an incredibly sad event. We saw 2 others that worked for the dept that I knew. It may seem strange to say, but there as a lot of comfort in that. And then we had to go home.

I had so much emptiness after leaving the funeral. Even at home that night, I still felt....empty. I was sad and I didn't feel "complete". I chalked it up to being extremely tired (it was a very early day) and having an emotionally exhausted day. And then, even after I slept 12 hours, I woke up still empty. Still sad and really wanting to see the people I saw yesterday again. I missed them, too...I miss my job in law-enforcement. I walked away from it in 2000 because of a bad experience (really bad dept) when I moved away. I went back to radio broadcasting and walked away from that when my daughter was born. I have isolated myself partly by choice and partly by circumstance and I hate it. What I wouldn't give for a complete redo with so many things.

I took so much away from the minister's sermon yesterday not only about life, but about my friend. I have started to make some changes in my life to help control my RA...those changes, unexpectedly, have led to other positive results. Between that and the sermon yesterday, I am motivated to live the best life I can. To be the best person I can. The RA treatment doesn't make me immune to some other impacts of RA, but I want to do the best I can do under the circumstances. My friend left a huge mark on this Earth....I want to do that, as well...just as my friend did.
Don't know what you've got, til it's gone.





Date unknown, other people in picture unknown, LEO is my friend. Picture courtesy of MTPD