Background

Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge...the TUNES!

Day one consists of randomly shuffling tunes on my iphone up to 10...and what I feel about them. ALWAYS up for talking about music!! :)

1. Baby, Baby, Baby by TLC. TLC takes me back to the early 90s..a GREAT time in my life. This song has an amazing bass and cranks REALLY well in the car:)

2.Man, I Feel Like a Woman by Shania Twain. Late 90s....just a FUN tune easy to sing with...empowering, too! :)

3.What Kind of Man Would I Be? by Chicago. Oh boy. Late 80s...89/90ish. I remember totally being into this one when I was going out with Dan spring 1990. For a long time, it solely reminded me of him, but then as life went on, I was able to relate other things to the song's meaning. Truly one of my all time favorites.

4.It Feels Good by Tony! Toni! Tone! SCREAMING high school!!!! I am thinking senior year...going to East Lansing with friends....it brings back many feelings of way back then. To this day, it's one I will crank if it comes up in the car. Yea, I look like a dorky mom with the windows down and crusty music up, but I don't care!!! :)

5. A Little Respect--Erasure. Even though this was more 80s, I was really into this entire album in the early 90s. Erasure reminds me of my friend from high school (and I still talk with her), Heather... I always smile when I think of her...we had some great times and even though she lives across the world, I still love her to pieces.

6. Feenin' by Jodeci. I never really knew too much about Jodeci until the early 90s. I am thinking 92-93ish. A friend and I went to Sparty's (a bar) and a guy I really was into was also there. One of Jodeci's songs came on (I can't recall if it was Feenin' or Cry For You, but they are both great!) and this guy asked me to dance. That dance was ELECTRIC. I am not EVEN kidding. It was like cosmic...I felt in another world....and I think he felt it, as well, as he found us in the parking lot later and was all giddy about it LOL! Ohhhh...to be 20 something again!!!

7. Fire and Rain by James Taylor This is a VERY bitter sweet one. And I mean REALLY. There are times I cannot even keep it on if it comes on the radio or shows up in shuffle on my phone. A coworker from a PD I worked with brought over a James Taylor one night....this particular song he said he LOVED and then was trying to analyze it. I will never forget that night. He died maybe 10 years later.

8. Dance With Me by Orleans. SCREAMING 70s!!!!! Both this one and "Still the One" take me STRAIGHT back to my childhood..and I mean EARLY childhood. I remember distinctly driving in the car with my mom and hearing Orleans on the AM radio. And yes, I was sitting unbuckled in the front seat with her...hahaha. I LOVE songs that can take my that far back into memories. Bring it!

9.I Try by Macy Gray. I will admit, I HATED this song. HATED it. When it first came out, I was in radio and it played CONSTANTLY. Nails down a chalkboard. One afternoon, I went into the studio to discuss some things with my then program director (I always loved to talking with him)...Macy Gray was one tune that came on during that time (imagine that). Since then, it reminds me of that day.

10. The Cross by Prince. I first purchased this tape (oh yes...CASSETTE TAPE) in Chicago while on a band trip. Paid like $18 bucks back then, but it was the BEST album EVER. That was in spring of 1988 (I believe). In the fall of 1990, I went away to college. A roommate of mine happened to LOVE Prince as much as I loved him. My roommate also had Lupus. She was REALLY sick with Lupus and had always told me that when she dies, she wanted this song played at her funeral (This one and "The Ladder" by Prince). I don't know if that ever happened because when she died a few months later, I home sick with mono so I wasn't able to go. :( I will NEVER forget her and this song will ALWAYS have special meaning.